Fit Meals: Slow Cooker Char Siu (aka Chinese BBQ) Pork Roast
Why we love this recipe:
→ A healthier option when you are craving Chinese take out, this BBQ pork roast is a delicious, stress-free meal that packs 21.6 g of protein for just 227 calories per serving!
Nutritional info per serving (8 Servings. Serving size: 3 ounces pork and 1/4 cup sauce)
Calories: 227 / Protein: 21.6 grams / Carbs: 12.7 grams / Fat: 9.5 grams
What you will need (for 8 Servings) ↓
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 (2-pound) boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
Directions: (Prep Time: 5 min, Marinate Time: 2 hours, Cook Time: 8.5 hours)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
Place in a large zip-top plastic bag, add pork and seal.
Marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Place pork and marinade in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove pork from slow cooker using a slotted spoon; place on a cutting board or work surface.
Cover with aluminum foil; keep warm.
- Add broth to sauce in slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Shred pork with 2 forks; serve with sauce and a side of rice or steamed veggies!Enjoy!