Why we like this recipe:
→ Tuna is an excellent source of protein, averaging at 20 grams of protein and 90 calories per 3 ounces. It will help you feel full longer!
→ Treat your taste buds without guilt! this meal is so flavorful, nutritious, and is only made with fresh ingredients!
What you will need: (For 2 Servings)
- 2 tuna steaks (look for sashimi grade tuna, fresh/never frozen will be best)
- 2 tablespoons of good olive oil, plus extra for searing
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion (2 onions)
- 2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded, and small diced
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper, to taste (1 pepper)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint leaves
Directions: (Prep Time: 20 min, Cook Time: 40 min)
- Saute the olive oil, onions, and ginger in a large saute pan over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Add the mangos, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the orange juice, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and jalapeno; cook for 10 more minutes, until orange juice is reduced, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and add the mint. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
- Heat a saute pan over high heat for 5 minutes until very hot.
Season the tuna liberally with salt and pepper.
When the pan is very hot, add a drizzle of olive oil and then the tuna steaks. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until the outside is browned, but the inside is very rare.
- Serve the tuna on top of the mango salsa.Enjoy!